Responsibilities include working with North American client to conceptualize and design high performance mobile electronic assemblies. Specific tasks include daily use of Pro/E solid modeling software, concept layouts, defining rigid and flexible circuit board outline and mounting constraints, electronic file transfers to/from circuit board CAD designers, shielding/gasket design, design of mechanical parts and system assemblies, creating detailed mechanical drawings, specifying dimensional tolerances and tolerance stickups, creating BOMs for assemblies, working with internal teams for optimal selection of batteries, displays, and audio components, working with internal machine shop for prototypes, and working with external suppliers for design collaboration and fabrication, including injection molded tooling. The Sr. Engineer will interface with internal staff and outside partners in the fast-paced execution of a variety of multi-disciplined projects.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Expected to possess a strong understanding of mechanical engineering and design fundamentals. Experience with defining outline, mounting, and I/O constraints of electronic circuit boards.
- Experience working with internal and external industrial designers for consumer grade product cosmetics and ergonomics.
- Experience designing effective on-board EMI shielding cans.
- Demonstrated ability for tolerance analysis and specification, including GD&T fundamentals. Demonstrated success in working with HW, component engineering, and mechanical teams for selection of batteries, displays, and audio components.
- Demonstrated success working with Antenna engineers for high performance, volume-efficient mobile device antenna designs.
- Demonstrated success in working with HW and thermal analysis teams for appropriate thermal mitigation techniques.
- Solid understanding of design fundamentals for CNC, injection molded and stamped metal parts. Demonstrated ability working with supplier base for successful design collaboration and volume production.
- Strong experience with Pro/Engineer (CREO) for solid model assembly, part, and drawing creation. Experience with top-down skeleton model structuring and master model design techniques within Pro/E.
- Experience with IDF/EMN file exchange between mechanical and HW teams.
- Understands project goals and individual contribution toward those goals.
- Effectively communicates with project peers and engineering personnel via e-mail, web meetings, and instant messaging including status reports and illustrative presentation slides.
- Interact and collaborate with other internal mechanical engineers for optimal product development processes and schedule execution.
- Effectively multitasks and meets aggressive schedules in a dynamic environment. Prepare and deliver design reviews to project team.
- Bachelor's, Mechanical Engineering or Bachelor of Technology, Mechanical Engineering.
- 5+ years actively involved in the mechanical engineering and design of high-density electronics packaging.
- 3+ years experience in a mechanical engineering role designing consumer-grade mobile phones utilizing latest generation processor chips.
- Solid modeling experience utilizing Pro/E or Solid works mechanical CAD system.