The embedded system industry has seen a radical change over the years. Even the technologies and the industries served broadened with time. With the inception of IoT and IIoT, embedded systems have become the catalyst for intelligent networks to emerge. Embedded software development is more popular now than ever as the world is marching towards more ingenious solutions. This blog will highlight 5 embedded technologies to watch out for in 2022.
Embedded systems have become integral in most industries such as medical devices, automotive, aerospace, defence, and automation. Therefore, it is essential to align with the trends in the embedded industries.
1 – Embedded DevOps
Software DevOps has played a significant role in general software development. However, embedded developers have overlooked it. Out of a hundred companies or so, only a few have been able to utilise DevOps productively. This negligence might be due to inadequate exposure to the benefits of this technology.
Therefore, embedded developers must start using Docker to develop an embedded toolchain. Then, they must automate the build process with CI/CD servers. Enhance the CI/CD cycle with unit testing, code analytics, integration testing etc.
2 – Automated Hardware In-Loop Testing
Apart from debugging, developers flounder with testing. Here are some reasons why this step might be a hurdle for them:
- Testing is still primarily a manual process
- Running automated tests on hardware would seem intensive
- Teams focus more on coding while leaving testing for later
- Inadequate software interface
Even though hardware in-loop testing is not new, its use is often ignored. Try various automated tests to see if they increase your code quality and optimise development costs. If the result is desirable, slowly integrate the technology into the testing process.
3 – Multicore Microcontroller Development
In the coming years, the use of multicore microcontrollers will soar. Here are a few pointers that suggest this fact:
- Several applications require an isolated run-time environment
- It is architecturally sound to segregate applications into run-time domains
- The cost of a multicore microcontroller is becoming more affordable for companies
4 – Arm TrustZone
As advanced technology emerges, so does the need for security. Therefore, companies need to upgrade security systems to secure their firmware and client data.
Several security solutions exist for microcontrollers, such as multi-core processors to build isolated run-time environments. There are many reasons why TrustZone would be great for companies.
- Every microcontroller architecture now have a TrustZone feature
- TrustZone is becoming an integral part of various open-source and commercial tools.
- It provides a single core component similar to software models familiar to many developers.
5 – Low Power design
Low power design is essential with the increasing IoT devices and sensor nodes. Developing a system that can efficiently reach low power states can be challenging. Therefore, they must focus on the following areas:
- Monitoring the energy consumed by the hardware & software
- Battery design & layout
- Wireless radio systems
- Power regulation
Several other technologies will change the way companies develop, construct, test, and deploy embedded systems. But, the above five will be enough to help embedded developers gain a competitive advantage.